Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hi Y'all

In the summer of 2008, I moved to Charleston, S.C. I had never been to the city before, but I had accepted an internship at The Charleston City Paper, an alternative weekly. I had applied to the City Paper because I assumed that every city north of Florida (where I have spent my entire life) had mountains (or hills, at the very least). I was wrong. Charleston is as swampy as Miami and Gainesville. Who knew? To document my time there that summer, I started a blog.

Almost two years later, I have accepted a job at the City Paper. A real job. With a salary and everything. Dental, even.

Journalism students, you can believe what they tell you; an internship can pay off.

Starting March 1st, I will be an actual resident of South Carolina. So I'm starting another Charleston-themed blog for much of the same reason I started that first one: I am terrible at staying in touch with people. I prefer to use the Internet as a way of organizing my thoughts than numerous repetitive phone calls. Plus I can save on minutes and texting fees and stuff.

Thusly, I hope that if you are my friend, or not my friend, or a creepy lurker, or what have you, that you will read this and share this "next step" with me.

6 comments:

  1. thusly? is that a legit word? lol and yes out of everything that you wrote thats what i focused on lol i guess i'll be coming to visit you in charleston one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny i was going to call you Alton Brown for using his favorite word

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! So glad you didn't get stuck in Gainesville. Incidentally, I was just reading the Charleston issue of Southern Living, which is a magazine I bet you don't read.

    I've been wanting to get back for a visit for a while. My friend, Betsy, knows a couple people who are involved in the theater (theatre?) scene up there. I'll let you know when/if I plan on a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa: I will hold you to that.
    Lindsay: Of course you would automatically think of a chef. Come visit, Charleston is such a great foodie town.
    Elizabeth: Please come! Nine extra months in Gainesville was definitely enough. I do think it's "theatre" (the arts crowd there takes itself pretty seriously) and you never had a chance to appreciate the nightlife (I'm going to be living near a bar that serves breakfast all night).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I've been waiting for you to start a blog so I could lurk it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^ lol billy bender. see you week after next! blerg! so excited!

    ReplyDelete